Thursday 17 September 2015

My Favourite Lake District Views

Sharing my favourite views that I have been lucky enough to capture/view, across the Lake District, so far...


#1 Low Fell (Cockermouth)


This mountain range can be accessed from Thacklethwait, Cockermouth, Postcode: CA13 0RP. It is a short, fairly easy walk up, for the reward of some brilliant views.

The photo below was taken at the same place (Low Fell), just a few hundred meters back, and a little later in the evening as the sun was setting.

To see more on this click the link: Buttermere & Low Fell


 

 

#2 Haystacks and Around Buttermere (looking North West to Scotland)

Buttermere is a quiter area in the Lake District. Nevertheless it is well known for its beauty in both lowland and highland. Haystacks has been noted to be Wainwright's favourite mountain range in the Lakes, and with views stretching out to Scotland and it being a great place for capturing Sunsets, it's not hard to see why this place is much loved. 
To see more on this click the link: Buttermere

 

 

#3 Hard Tarn/Nethermost Pike (near Helvellyn, looking West & East)


Using Hard Tarn as a Base, a nice vertical climb takes you up to Nethermost pike for some amazing views all around. This is a great vantage point for catching the sunrise, particularly in Summer. Definitely worth getting up for! To see more on this click the link: Wild Camp at Hard Tarn



As the morning grew on, mist developed around the lowlands creating a wonderful, ephemeral effect







 

#4 Blea Tarn (Langdale)


Another favoured spot. Blea Tarn is fairly easy to access, with a convenient car park on the Little Langdale to Great Langdale road. It has a backdrop of the Langdale Pikes, being at the very heart of wild Lakeland.
I Once camped here, but last I found out, it is a National Trust protected area so maybe not so wise to camp here again..This was taken in the afternoon hours.


 

 

#5 Scale Force (Up from Buttermere Lake)


This is the highest waterfall in the Lakes, at around 120 ft. From Buttermere lake, it’s a nice but fairly tough walk in places, and if you want to get a good, close up view you have to scramble and climb over a few rock platforms/mini waterfalls leading up to its pinnacle.
Although the photos don’t have the greatest clarity, you can still get a sense of its sheer height..



 

#6 Friar's Crag (Keswick)


I've appreciated this view and photographed it many a time. Unfortunately I had a large number of photos accidentally removed from my computer! With photos from here being in the unlucky basket. As a result the photo above has been taken from a Photo Library (National Trust), which I felt was truest to how I remember seeing and photographing the view.

Friar's Crag is one of the most well known, and easily accessed viewpoints in the Lake District. In the main area of Keswick, and just a short, flat 5-10 minute walk along from the nearest car park. On any given day it presents awe-inspiring views across Derwentwater.


 

 

#7 Ullswater Lake (Pooley Bridge Pier)

 

As with Friars Crag, My Ullswater photos have been lost! Ullswater was the Lake I first visited, and this view was my first glimpse of the beauty of The Lake District. It blew my mind! The photo above was copied from the Cumbria Tourism Blog. It seems to echo similarly as close to how I first remember seeing it. I think I travelled by train and bus from Carlisle. It was cloudy and possibly a little bit moodier than above, with shafts of sunlight bursting through the sky.

It's not my favourite view by a longshot but it will live with me, and it opened my eyes to the sheer beauty of the Natural world and probably helped fashion my love of Landscape Photography and exploring the Lakes :)

This view is another view that can be easily accessed. Using the postcode: CA11 0LL. It is at the head of Pooley Bridge just jutting out around the corner.




#8 Wastwater Lake

Once again I have limited photos of Wastwater as above. However I did manage to find this photo that I took a while back. Not the best view of Wastwater by a long way but a different one nonetheless.
Wastwater is an expansive Lake, another well known destination and certain photos, more close to the mountain range have been voted as Britain's favourite View.  This view I think was taken from the tiny island that juts out from the left of this photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment